Massachusetts Anglers

Welcome to the Massachusetts Anglers forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Massachusetts Anglers > Hunting > Hunting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Question Selling animal pelts???

Can anyone give me any direction as to people/dealers who may buy animal pelts in MA/VT/NH area. I heard rumor you can get some ok money selling pelts and with predator season upon us I wouldn't mind some info on any dealers/buyers.

Any info is appreciated...Thanks.

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like hey, there's an asshole.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Tacoma..I good friend of mine is a trapper....and he sells his furs in PA. they have a big thing there come early spring or late winter...he gets the best price there...and it all depends how the pelts are cleaned and any holes....he told me the dealers here give you peanuts....plus not many at all around here...

But you have to have a lot of fur to make it wild to go to PA ...

Al
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to JEEPSW1

A co-worker of mine is a trapper as well, he sells his pelts to a company that makes hats and capes, i'll see if he is willing to share info.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 PM

lett me know becuase i would be interested as well. PM me with any info
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM

I am a fur buyer in southern Vermont, but do not like to buy shot animals as a general rule, only trapped, the handling on varmint hunter pelts makes the pelts almost unusable as 99% of the hunters are hunters and not trappers and do not know how to handle a pelt correctly.

NAFA has auctions and collections throughout the season, as does Fur Harvesters and other global fur houses.

Most state trappers associations have at least one auction and sale a year, the season is starting to wind down with last sales usally in march.

I'd recommend contacting and joining your State's trapping group, http://www.masstrappers.com/links.html, and partner up with an experienced fur handler/ trapper as a badly handled fur will not only take up time and effort but quite often won't sell at all.

Proper handling starts with skinning to industry current standards and stretching to proper size and dimensions, easy enough to learn, of great importance pehaps is knowing what regulations need to be met to sell or export furs from state to state, some states require sealing, others require you have a furbuyers license, still others require nothing at all!

When looking at fur prices in FFG or online keep in mind that they are at best average prices FOR WHAT SOLD, and do not reflect gunshot varmint hunted pelts, and do not take into consideration the pelts that were not bought at all.

after skinning a shot critter I sew the bullet hole edge to edge with fishing line, flesh it , then wash the pelts in a washing machine on delicates for that purpose with kids shampoo, no more tangles works great, then air dry and brush out all burrs and junk, and stretch to proper size. the effort made in proper handling is seen at the auctions or fur house.

There is also small country buyers like Lewis Hollow trapping in Petersburgh, NY, Ron runs a great trapping shop and buys fur and deer hides as the market allows.

Should you ship to NAFA or FHA, oyu will be asked to join, and will be charged a commission, and drumming fees, etc so while you might get $20 gross from a coyote well handled you might only see $6 of that in pocket if it sells at all....if it doesn't sell you do not get it back.

Selling to a buyer in Warwick, NY, Manchester, VT, or Petersburgh, NY might look like less but $10 handed to you over the counter beats a coyote pelt sitting in Canada that you can't get back and can't sell til maybe next year when they finally move it for 2 bucks for you!
LOL.

A good place to get help on learning fur handling is Traps 4 Kids, http://www.traps4kids.com/

it is geared towards kids but everyone will learn something there. They also have a VERY good 4 tape course of instruction, literally hundreds of the countries best trappers on tape showing hands on work, and all 4 hours or more including shipping was $20 last I knew.....pretty great deal.

new hunting board
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks Simon. That was very informative and interesting. Just out of curiosity, how small a "lot" will the fur buyers bother with. I would think that they are not very interested in one or two pelts? Or am I wrong?

Last edited by thortum : 01-05-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM

What kind of pelts are you trying to sell? My buddy who does some deer butchering told me today that he gets about $5 per deer hide. He has to bring them to New York though. I guess it's worth it when you have 100 or so hides.
"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind." Author, Jim Slinsky
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 PM

If Anyone Shoots Squirrels Give Me The Pelts, I Wanna Make A Hat
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thortum
Thanks Simon. That was very informative and interesting. Just out of curiosity, how small a "lot" will the fur buyers bother with. I would think that they are not very interested in one or two pelts? Or am I wrong?

Local furbuyers will take 1 or 1,000 if they are worthy of the name.

Most make an effort to buy whatever they can provided it is handled correctly, I don't know of any state that does not require everyne dealing in furs to be a licensed fur buyer, and that is incentive to do as much business as possible.

Also, if you are bringing your furs to a buyer, ASK what you can do better...it is in the buyer's best interest to get the best fur he can too! When you make money on better handled furs he makes money on better handled furs.

For instance, several people have brought in big piles of furs this last week to me, and they are stretched well but the ears on the K9s and bobcats are not handled correctly, the cartilage should be removed when skinning, it is VERY easy to do and I am happy to show everyone how to do it so they aren't handing me a big bag full of stinking fur slipping furs then getting mad at the "low price" offered.

If I can smell the rot , you are not getting top dollar, anywhere, period, also, once the furs are stretched and dried properly it is best to remove them from your stretchers and freeze them until selling, it stops pretty much all chances of slippage, but on fur that is slipping, like those rotten ears, nothing will reverse fur slip.

Do they use ears in the fur trade? NO. But when a pile of rotting and stinking fur is on the table there is simply no way a top lot offer is going to happen.

The least that should be done for coyote or fox is that all burrs and knots, tangles and debris be brushed out of the hide before skinning, these burrs and etc sticking in the fur will cause your fleshing knife to snag when fleshing and more often than not make a hole or at the least do some sort of damage.

Carry toilet paper or paper towels with you and stuff it int eh bullet hole to stop as much blood from getting on the fur as possible, keep in mind you are already lsoing money shooting it, might as well try to save what you can!

then; Brush them out with a dog comb, a stiff wire one to start then a softer brush, then skin them ( removing ear cartilage) and flesh them, you don't HAVE TO wash them, but it will bring more money 9 times out of 10.

board them to the right size and on the correct stretchers and air dry them making wure to turn them before 100% dry, as they won't turn well for you. once totally dry, and that means dry like paper, remove them from your stretchers and roll fur side out and freeze in a plastic bag until sale time.

the 9th fur sale today from FHA was top Beaver $42, Muskrat $6.90, Red fox $38 Grey fox $37 and coon sold almost not at all....so far...

Also, the Ballston Spa NY 1/3 fur sale had 21 coyote offered, the average was $14+ and top was $21.

wouldn't take long to buy a new bow, trolling motor, shotgun,etc at those prices.

new hunting board
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Simon G...thanks, very informational!

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like hey, there's an asshole.